Madras Chicken Curry

Madras Chicken Curry
I came across this recipe in a cooking book. The original recipe uses mutton but since I haven't got any mutton left in my freeze so I'm preparing it my fav chicken..The taste was really as I have prepared it with ghee instead of oil.The chicken is cooked slowly in low flame so that the sauce are absorbed and the curry matures to a full flavor.

Ingredients
Serving Size:5

1 whole chicken cut
1.5 tsp turmeric powder
2tbsp coriander seeds
2tsp cumin seeds
10 dried chillies
12 curry leaves
2 tomatoes chopped
10 garlic cloves chopped roughly
a small ginger piece chopped roughly
1tsp fennel seeds
1tbsp tamarind paste
4tbsp ghee
3 large red onions sliced
2 cup coconut milk
1 cinnamon stick
few cardamon seeds
curry leaves
chopped coriander leaves

Preparation Methods:
Rub the cut chicken with turmeric powder. In a pan dry roasted the coriander seeds,cumin seeds and dried chillies separately.Once they are cooled -grind them to powder in a pestle and mortar.Make a paste with the curry leaves,ginger and garlic.Dry roast the fennel seeds until they brown and start to pop. Heat the ghee in a karhai and saute the onion until soft and then add the pounded spices.Saute the mixture until aromatic.Add the chicken cubes and toss well to mix with the paste. Pour in the coconut milk and some water and bring to a boil.Then add the
the tomatoes, cardamon pods ,cinnamon stick and the roasted fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper.Cover and cook till they chicken becomes tender. Now add the tamarind paste and check the seasoning-add if neccesary.Cook til the oil starts to separate from the meat. Remove from flame and the curry remaining curry leaves and coriander leaves.

Comments

Looks tempting.. even i dont eat chicken its looking yummy and color of gravy is tempting.
Sarah Naveen said…
Oh man!!!It makes me drool....Gimme some chapatis ..and i can finish that bowl within minutes..So yummyyyyy
Sushma Mallya said…
love all the chicken dishes u make..so nice recipe and looks so good too
Vrinda said…
I never used tamarind in chicken curry...nice gravy.....
Mona said…
Looks very delicious!
Preety said…
chicken curry looks perfect
Urmi said…
I love chicken very much. Chicken curry looks delicious. Thanks for this lovely recipe.
Priya Suresh said…
Tempting chicken curry...looks damn fantastic.
Hey Saras, I kept an eye on your pics in Orkut honestly now that I have a chance to look at the recipes my god they are simply superb!!! nice ones gal!!!
Kalai said…
Hello,

My first time here. You have a wonderful blog with many wonderful recipes.
And a perfect chicken curry! I am just browsing through all your recipes, and its so tempting!
Priya dharshini said…
hey i stopped by seeing madras curry..good recipe..i have tried many recipes if it is nonveg...we can call u ,nonveg queen..Wish to try some more recipes...so keeping posting
Lavanya Siva said…
Wow, i am great fan of chicken, people often ask me to change my name as chicken.....!!!, because i love chicken that much. This dish is very tempting......
matkirk said…
Looks good, but usually I though the sauce for a chicken madras was thicker and darker in color? Maybe it's just the way we eat them in England, like this http://www.madrasrecipe.com/chicken-madras-recipe/ I'll give it a try your way as well though!