Spicy Tofu Sambal in South Indian Style

Spicy Tofu Sambal in South Indian Style
Many have known that we recently celebrated my son's 6th b'day few days ago and I had quite a number of vegetarian guests for the party. Well I'm not very creative in preparing veg dish like others but I wanted them to taste a very popular taste bud of my hometown prepared in the essence of South Indian flavor.Since we had chicken briyani and Kashmir Pulao I wanted make a dish that can blend well with both. Finally I decide to prepare a Malaysian delicacy know as sambal-very spicy chilli paste which can be added to any type of dishes. The taste was really good and all my guests really loved it and I would like to share the recipe with all.....

Ingredients For The Paste:
Serving Size: about 10
20 dried red chillies-soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
1/2 cup chopped shallots
2tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
2tbsp tomato paste
1tsp sugar
1tbsp lime juice
salt to taste
2tbsp chili oil

Saute all the ingredients in the chili oil an once cooled grind to a creamy paste -set aside.

Marinate for Tofu
4 packets of tofu-cubed
1tbsp chili powder
1/4tsp turmeric powder
1tsp gram masala
salt to taste
1tbsp fish masala
Mix all in a large bowl and keep aside for about 5 to 6 hours.If possible marinate overnite. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed wok and fry the tofu in small batch until golden brown. Drain on paper towel and set aside.

2 cups of finely chopped shallots
1 cup finely diced tomatoes
few sprigs of curry leaves
1tsp mustard seeds
1/2tsp cumin seeds
1 big cinnamon stick
1tbsp chili powder
few star anise
chopped coriander and spring onions
1tbsp melted ghee

Preparation Methods:
Heat couple tbsp of olive oil to a heavy bottomed skillet and splutter the curry leaves and all the Indian whole spice followed by the chopped onions and tomatoes. Saute till the onions turned browned. Then add the fried tofu with the chili powder. Give a good toss and allow them to blend well for about 6 minutes. Finally add the grind paste and cover the with lid. Adjust the level of salt and once the sauce has thicken -remove from flame and transfer to a serving platter garnished with chopped coriander and spring onions.

Comments

Tina said…
Wow...what a colourful dish yaar...Mouthwatering...
Urmi said…
Looks spicy, delicious and yummy. Wonderful presentation.
Namitha said…
That's my kind of tofu..real spicy and yumm :-)
Sarah Naveen said…
Love the color..looks so spicy and yummy!!
Mmmm sambal with anything is truely delicious.. the color of the dish is really eyecatching and my stomach is grumbling seeing this.
Vrinda said…
I dont eat tofu..this one looks spicy and tasty...
Priya Suresh said…
Wow sambal sounds truly delicious and spicy...have to get a pack of tofu soon...tempting clicks..
The Sudden Cook said…
I am very familiar with this dish - being Indian and all - lol - must go thru ur blog in my quest to improve my Indian cooking!
Padhu Sankar said…
Love this spicy and delicious dish!
SathyaSridhar said…
Wooow,,Sara!!! tofu sambal looks colourful and delicious makes me mouthwatering.Managing the kids and also Cooking nice recipes!!! good sara.thanks for sharing dear,,take care n keep on smiling.
Unknown said…
Such a lovely color dear. Can I substitute the Tofu with Paneer. Yummy delight :)
Siddhi Shirsat said…
wow nice yummy dish...tempting one
Vikis Kitchen said…
Your sambal looks very attractive pa. Astonished by that color and flavorful ingredients. Very nice presentation dear.
shahana said…
Looks so spicy and delicious! I love spicy food..
Pari Vasisht said…
Hi. I am drooling over the colour of the preparation looks so spicy, yumm.
Sashi said…
Looks perfect for parties !! delicious !!
my kitchen said…
Looks perfect dear,makes me appetizing
Brocade Blue said…
In malaysia, we never marinate tofu, we deep fry tofu then add it to the sambal. I don't know who gave u the tofu-marinating sambal recipe but its wrong!
logan parumal said…
Do you fry tofu seperately and marinate with it or do you marinate tofu and then fry it after its marinated?