Payathankai (Long Beans) Kottu

Payathankai (Long Beans) Kottu
I'd spent quite  a bit of time wonder what recipe to post today as I have many laying in my folder just staring at me blindly and their helpless look always bothers me. I want to post but work is keeping me up.As I have known both my kids love the addition of dhal to vegetables.
Long beans are also known as Chinese long beans – they don’t taste much different from regular green beans, but these long, long, snake beans are a current favorite among my kids. Since these long beans are pliable, I find them much less tedious to cut up than regular beans.I have been stuck in a cooking rut and my kids and hubby are a bit bored of me feeding them with same dishes over and over again.My resolution for this year was to try new recipes every weekend.. So far I have tried many and have shared with u all guys too....Today's recipe from my kitchen would be Long Beans Kottu-my kids favorite and no matter have much I prepare,it's never enough!!!!


Serving Size:4 person
Ingredients For the Dhal:
1/2 cup moong dal
10 finely chopped shallots
1 tomato chopped
3 cloves garlic
1tsp cumin seeds
a pinch hing powder
1/4 cup grated tender coconut
1tsp cumin powder
1tbsp tamarind juice
a pinch of hing and turmeric powder
salt to taste

Preparation Methods:
Make a fine paste by grinding the coconut with cumin seeds and keep aside. Then add some oil to pressure cooker-add dhal, chopped tomato, small onions, hing powder turmeric powder, garlic and add 2 cup of water. and cook for 5 whistle. Wait for the pressure to be released.Then add the grinder paste and boil well till raw smell are removed followed by the tamarind juice bring to boil.Keep aside.

For the Long Beans:
1 cup long beans chopped
1 large onion chopped
1 small tomato chopped
few dried chilli
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp cumin seeds
1tbsp minced garlic
few curry leaves
1tbsp sambar powder
chopped coriander leaves

Preparation Methods:
In a frying pan add 2tbsp oil-add mustard seeds. Once it starts to crack add dried chilies curry leaves, mustard seeds,cumin followed by the chopped onions and tomato. Add the long beans saute til they become tender. Add the sambar powder and the cooked dhal. Add salt and allow the mixture to get thicker.Remove and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.




Comments

Priya Suresh said…
Yumm, its been ages i prepared kootu with long beans,yumm.
Indian Khana said…
Very nice recipe ...looks so gud