Spicy Mutton Kolhapuri

Spicy Mutton Kolhapuri
Do you know what frustrates me the most ?? Going throughout my day thinking of all kinds of creative things to post about but when I finally sit down to do the actual write up a blog post my mine just freeze and goes blank. Do this happen to you guys out there too? Maybe its because I want to share many things with you guys that I don't even know where to start. anyway back to tday's recipe. I'm always collecting or looking out for recipes that taste great or even better but don't involve an all day session in the kitchen to prepare. And if I tend to make a dish ahead af time it's always a crowed pleaser at my dining table. The following is such one that was loved by everyone and it was done very long back when I was in Owasso. I got the this unique recipe for accident while searching for something different to be done with mutton. I had real difficult time finding some of the ingredients esp kalpasi. I'm pleased to share with you guys " Spicy Mutton Kolhapuri from my kitchen to yours".


Mutton Kolhapuri is a dish from the region of Kolhapur in India. It traditionally is made from mutton, tomatoes, a mixture of many toasted spices, and a large amount of hot chili peppers. The amount of spicy heat in the classic preparation of mutton Kolhapuri can be overwhelming for some who eat it, although home cooks can easily adjust the spices to reduce the amount of heat. The cooking process is fairly simple, involving a marinade for the meat and slow cooking until all the ingredients have come together and the mutton is tender. So everyone who happens to read my post please try out this different mutton gravy for your loved ones..see yal in my next post til then happy cooking and a great weekend.



 Spicy Mutton Kalhapuri
Ingredients:
Serving Size: 4 person
Ikg mutton washed and chopped
1 cup chopped potatoes
2 tomatoes minced
1 cup shallots halved
1tbsp lime juice
1tsp mustard seeds
1tsp cumin seed
Handful of curry leaves

To make  Kolhapuri masala
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
I0 red chilies
2 tsp fried onions
2 tsp dry grated coconut
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp black pepper
3-4 cloves
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 black cardamom
2-3 green cardamom
1 star anise
1 mace
1tsp kalpas

Dry roast coconut and sesame seeds till they get light brown color. Take it aside. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Roast all spices one by one except fried onions. Grind all spices along with fried onions to make masala powder. Keep it aside.

Onions - poppy seeds paste
2 red onion
1/2 tsp poppy seeds
3-4 petals of garlic
1 inch ginger piece
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

Soak the poppy seeds in a warm water for 15-20 minutes. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add sliced onions. Saute till onions become slight brown in color. Now grind all ingredients together and make a smooth paste by adding little water. Keep this paste aside.

Preparation Methods:
Marinate the chopped mutton with lime juice and salt for 1 hour. Heat the pressure cooker with 2tbsp ghee-splutter curry leaves ,cumin and mustard seeds followed by the shallots and minced tomatoes. Allow the onions and tomato cook well. Then add the marinated mutton cubes and chopped potatoes. As the mutton cubes halve cooked add the kolhapuri masala and onion-poppy seed paste. Mix well and cook for few whistles..




Comments

divya said…
Superb recipe.. Mouthwatering..
Priya Suresh said…
Rich looking delicious mutton kolhapuri.
Lovely Post. Nice recipe too.love it..
Maha
Hamaree Rasoi said…
You have got a company here :-) I too sometimes go blank and loss of words when sit to write something....
Mutton preparation looks very inviting
Very traditional recipe a favorite dish for my family. Very nice post.