PF Chang's Coconut Veg Curry

PF Chang's Coconut Veg Curry


During holidays we can live our life as we want. There are no rules for getting up in the morning and going to school, coming back home, having lunch, playing for a short while and then completing the home work. as sleep is necessary for our body similarly holidays are important for relaxation and change – they provide relief from the monotony of our daily routine. They are important for our mental and emotional well being. To be frank we came to Dallas to enjoy my kids summer with my hubby who is stationed for a short project and now here we are - Back to Dallas once again!!

When we return back to India for good I never image that we will back again. The kids were young when I return back and don't really have clear vision of how it was like here in Dallas. A few minutes before we landed at the airport, I looked at the screen in front of me and it showed ‘33°C’, As the plane began to slow and turn into terminal, I could hear people around me start to get there belongings together so that they could get off the plane first. People returned the magazines to the rack on the back of the chair in front of them and I turned off my-kids iPod and put it back in my bag. When I took off the headphone and realized that Im back to life and have landed in Dallas. After lining up to get our passports checked and finally I gathered all my luggage. Phew!!! Breath- its not easy to travel for 17 hours with kids who cannot sit still for more than 2 hours. Found my hubby waiting for us at the lobby and my journey continues>


After few weeks I got addicted to the net again during my free time. I started visiting many cooking site and food blogs to get in touch with the cooking world. Since my kids got bored eating the same type of food - I tried out few dishes which I missed while I was in India as its not easy to get all the ingredients and that's when Im hubby said that we will try different type cuisines each week. I came across this particular recipe while searching."PF CHANGE'S COCONUT CURRY"- a Chinese Bistro which is quite famous in USA and somehow I wanted to try this recipe. I have added more vegetables and adjust to our taste buds and the earned me a good applause from my family. This happens to find itself in my dinning table quite often.I have made the curry powder from scratch and can be used for preparing Singapore Chicken Curry too. 

Ingredients:
1 onion, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
5 cloves of garlic minced
3 red chillies sliced 

1 small red  and green bell pepper, cubed
1 cup halved mushrooms
1 cups broccoli
1 cup thinly sliced carrots

1/2 cup sliced snow peas
1 cup sliced Tofu
1/2 cup halved baby corn 
1/2 cup beans sprouts 
1 cup bok chye
I tbsp sesame oil
Fried onions ( optional )
2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in
1 1/2 tsp cold water
1/2 cup fried peanuts 

Coconut-Curry Sauce:

1 cup canned coconut milk
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp curry powder ( recipe below)
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp rice vinegar 
2 tsp oil


In large bowl mixed all the sauce ingredients and keep aside.

Ingredients for curry powder:
8 dried chillies 
6 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp fennel seeds
2 tsp peppercorns 
1 inch cinnamon stick
4 green cardamom 
6 cloves
1 star asin 
2 tsp turmeric powder 



Dry roast all the ingredients til fragrant and grind to smooth powder form once cooled.

Preparation Methods:
Separately blanch all vegetables expect Tofu and mushrooms in salted water until tender-crisp. Drain and rush under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain and keep aside. 

Heat wide skillet over high heat until hot. Add the  oil, swirl to glaze the pan. Then add the onions , minced garlic and bell pepper. Stir-fry until tender-crisp, about 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and Tofu and stir until hot. Add the blanched vegetables and toss to mix. Stir the sauce and add it to the pan. Bring it to a simmer, tossing to combine. Stir the cornstarch mixture to recombine and add it to the pan. Stir until the sauce turns glossy, about 10 seconds, Finally add the fried peanuts and the sesame oil and toss to mix.


Comments