Fish Fillets in Szechuan Sauce

Fish Fillets In Szechuan Sauce


For the past couple of minutes I'm just staring at the blinking curser on my computer screen hopping to find sentence from my mind but its kind of freezed  today. These days my mind is completely jammed - just wants to relax and enjoy the summer to its maximum before the kid's vacation is over. To refresh my mind I stepped out of my home and decided to take a short walk to the leasing office to check for any mails.Greeting from familiar faces and stares from new occupants makes me wonder whether I'm an alien from outer space or just my imagination. 


Anyway sometimes, I’m totally at a loss for what to cook - So when I was in a similar situation few weeks ago, I asked my husband and he suggested Chinese and my mind travels back to my favorite Chinese Restaurant in my hometown " Fried Fish In Szechuan Sauce".  Instead of deep frying the fish - I decide to steam the fish for a healthy version. 

Steaming not only gently cooks the fish until just tender but also creates an instant, complex sauce from a handful of basic ingredients. Scoring the fish's flesh allows more of the flavor to season the fish and facilitates faster steaming. The fish is cooked on a plate that fits inside the steamer, to catch the juices.

Whole fish or  fish fillets covered in sticky sweet sour savory and slightly spice sauce.A signature Szechuan dish which ting ones taste buds to next level.This is my first time to make this dish and quite surprise that it’s easy to make considering how delicious it is- hot and spicy-delicious. You can serve it as a starter for some elaborate meal or with steamed rice or noodles for a more filling meal. In our house, usually Chinese cuisine disappear as soon as they are done…the aroma that fills the house makes it impossible to wait till dinner is served properly!


Ingredients:
Serving Size: 5 Person

5 fish fillets washed and seasoned with salt and pepper
juice of a lemon 
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1 whole garlic cloves , minced
green onion, sliced thinly
1 medium red onion finely chopped
1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds

For the sauce:
2 tsp red chilli pepper flakes
½ cup chicken stock (or water)
½ tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp chili-garlic sauce
1 tbsp hot sauce
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp red chilli paste
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine

Preparation Methods:
Place the seasoned fish fillets in a greased steamer and steam for 10 minutes.Heat the skillet with oil and saute the chopped onions ginger and garlic till fragrant. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in glass bowl and pour the sauce mixture.Bring the sauce to boil; adjust the consistency of the sauce by adding more water. Place the steam fish in serving plate and pour the sauce evenly. Drizzle the sesame oil and sprinkle the roasted sesame seed.
Garnish with the sliced green onions.




Comments

Anonymous said…
That plate looks so tempting and inviting for me to try out the recipe soon. Preparation method is so detailed and easy to follow. Thanks for sharing :)