Vegan Rice Patties And Rice Balls

Vegan Rice Patties And Rice Balls


Cooking is one of the activities in which I engage daily, and just like most other activities it can be experienced as a vehicle for self expression and creativity. I have been thrilled to experience how with just a few simple ingredients one can perform magic in the kitchen. As a result good cooking for me is the art of turning simple plant based ingredient into beautiful and nutritious dishes right to the dinning table. Just as with most choices, my food choices partly defines whom I am. Theres are stories and feeling behind many of the dishes that I regularly cook for my family. 

For example whenever I prepare Asian Cuisse I always remember my dad. He was a wonderful cook and my mentor in my love for cooking. Cooking skills really running in my family as all my brothers and sisters not forgetting my uncles and aunties are great cooks. Even my son and daughter have great interested in cooking too.

The simplest things in life give me the most pleasure is cooking a good meal and enjoying with my loved ones. I always like to play with my ingredients. Transferring a simple bowl of mashed cooked rice into a perfect patties is something which I haven't done before but belive me that dish turned out to be just delicious.



Ingredients for Rice Patties and Balls:

I cup of mashed cooked rice ( I used Kerala Matta Rice )
2 large potatoes cooked and mashed finely
1 red onion thinly sliced
3 garlic pods minced finely
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 cup of mixed vegetables
1 tsp chillies powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
chopped coriander and mint leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp rice powder
1 cup of bread crumbs ( for the rice balls )


Preparation Methods:
For the patties:
In heavy bottom wok add some oil and sauté the onions chillies and garlic well. Then add the mixed vegetables and the mashed potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes and add the mashed rice and all the spice powders. Continue to sauté till all the ingredients are blended well. Transfer the mixture to bowl and add the chopped coriander and mint leaves. Finely add the rice flour.

Using your hands form the mixture into patties. Place the patties on a plate cover with plastic wrap and pop in the fridge for a least 30 minutes or morn. Heat a couple of tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium flame.  Add the chilled patties and cook for 3-5 minutes per side -until they are golden brown.

For the Rice Balls:
Damp your hands with water and create 1-inch balls from the mixture and coat the m with bread crumbs. In small deep skillet heat enough oil to cover the rice balls. Fry the balls to 4-6 at time turning as needed to ensure even browning. Drain the balls on paper towels and serve them warm.



Comments