Ven Pongal


Ven Pongal

Here's my version of Ven Pongal...I use milk to prepare this recipe. Kids definitely like the pongal as many of friends have told me that their kids loved it very much. Not forgetting it's hot favorite of my kids too

Serving Size:4
Ingredients
:


Rice: 1 cup
Moongdal:1cup
Cumin seeds:1tsp
Water:3 cups
Hot Milk:3cups
Peppercorns:1tbsp crushed
Ghee:5tbsp
Cashewnuts:10pcs
Salt
Curry Leaves:5 sprig
Hing-a pinch
Turmeric Powder:a pinch
Sugar: a pinch (will bring out the taste better)

Preparation Method:

Heat 5tbsp of ghee +3tbsp of olive oil in pressure cooker. add cumin seeds, curry leaves,crushed peppercorns,cashew nuts. Fry til the Curry leave crisp a bit..then add the moondal...fry for a while followed by the rice..add the salt,turmeric powder,sugar and hing. Pour in the hot milk and water...pressure cook for 3 whistles...Serve the pongal with a 1tbsp of ghee ontop.

The amount of milk+water is 3:3 ratio but could be adjustable to our own taste..it could done with milk itself. I use parboiled rice for this recipe

Comments

asha said…
Tried it last night..may be the water ratio was not appropriate..so got stick at the bottom.But tasted gud...Something diff for a change...:)
Anonymous said…
Wanna try it today... just for my son as he is a fussy eater.. hope he likes it
Indu said…
Ah..I didnt know about the milk and sugar trick. Good one..