Kara Vathal Kulambu- Version 2

Kara Vathal Kulambu- Version 2

Vathal-Dried vegetable, which can be preserved for a long time. Dried Vathals like Sundakai vathal, Manathakali vathals and many more varieties are used to make this Kara Vathal Kuzhambu Version 1 which is my hubby's favorite as well as mine, I have already post a recipe using Vathal in my previous post Vatha Kulambu. This is another version of Vathal Kulambu which happens to be my first MIL's recipe-that's my hubby's Periappa Wife Jayalakshmi. She's a very good cook and this recipe happens to be my MIL's favorite. She taught me how to prepare them when I was in back in India before coming here. I have made few changes to adjust to my hubby's taste as she never add garlic and tomatoes for a recipe. Believe me every-time I make these.There's wouldn't be any kulambu left by the time I have my food.

Kara Vathal Kulambu


Ingredients
Serving size:4

To be roasted and grind Paste:
1 cup chopped shallots
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
3 garlic cloves minced
1tbsp fenugreek
1tbsp coriander seeds
3 dried chillies
1/2 cup tamarind pulp juice
1tbsp vathal kulambu powder
1tbsp fish curry masala
1tsp chillie powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
few curry leaves

Add 1tbsp oil and roast all the ingredients mentioned above really well-once cooled grind them into a super fine paste and keep aside.

1 cup mixed dried vegetables
1 large onion sliced thinly
few curry leaves
2dried chiilie broken
1/2tsp mustard seeds
1/4tsp fenugreek
chopped coriander leaves
a pinch of hing
salt to taste

Preparation Methods:

Add some warm water to the dried vegetable and let it soak for about 1/2 an hour. Then squeeze out the water and keep aside.Coat a wok with 2tbsp oil and splutter frengeek seeds ,dried chillie and mustard seeds.Add curry leaves and chopped onions -saute till translucent.Next add the dried vegetables with salt and saute. Keep the pan covered and cook on low flame for around 8-10 minutes till the dried vegetables are tender followed by grind paste and 1 cup of water and bring it to boil, stirring occasionally, until the gravy thickens. Adjust the level of salt and add the chopped coriander leaves and sprinkle some hing powder-remove from flame and serve with steamed white rice.


Comments

Chitra said…
Oh u r making me drool .. Now my stomach is upset , will surely try this once i feel better :)
Priya Suresh said…
Such a tempting dish..just love with papads...makes me hungry..
Urmi said…
This is absolutely a new dish for me. It looks delicious. I will definitely try your lovely recipe.
Sarah Naveen said…
First time to ur lovely space...
Fabulous dishes..
keep rocking!!!
Priya dharshini said…
super ah eruku..mouth watering