Rava Iddlies

Rava Iddlies
Idlis and dosas have being dominating the kitchens of South India for centuries.Having the routine of eating same food at the usual environment is always a kinda of boring stuff especially for the kids like mine . Despite of having food at home- temptation to explore restaurant menus are always there during weekends. A day away from the kitchen helps me to clear my mind and pamper myself with different variety of delicacy. Last weekend I wanted to have some pure South India Meal for dinner instead of some fast-food. We went to Taj Chat House and I was longing to have Rav Onion Dosi for a very long time- making these at home is rather hazard as I don't own a very large tava like those in the restaurant.

As I was looking through the menu Rava Iddlies got my attention and order a plate for the kids but they both refused to have a bite as they have their all time favorite Paper Roast with Sambar. It was really very tasty and filling too. I thought of give it a try at home as my dosai batter was over and yet to grind them..My first attempt to make these lovely babies at home was a great success and was enjoyed by both my kids..

Ingredients
Serving Size: 28 pieces

2 cup rava
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1tbsp ural dah
1tbsp peppercorns
1 tbsp channa dal
3 green chilies, finely chopped
few sprig of curry leaves sliced thinly as possible
big pinch soda (optional)
freshly chopped mint and coriander leaves
2 tbsps grated fresh coconut
1 cup well beaten thick curd with little salt and hing powder
2tbsp ghee
handful roasted cashew nuts

Preparation Methods:
Heat ghee, add the mustard seeds and once they splutter, add the ural dah,peppercorn,cumin seeds,chana dal and saute till the dal turns golden brown. Add the green chillies and curry leaves .Immediately add rava and on low to medium heat stir fry the rava for about minutes.Let the mixture cool off. Take a bowl -add mint, coriander leaves, grated coconut, curd, water and salt and mix well.Finally mix in the rava mixture and more water if you find the batter too thick. Leave the mixture for a least 1-2 hours.

Grease idli plates.Pour the batter and place a roasted cashew nut on each of the rava batter. Steam the rava idlis and let it stand for few seconds before removing the rava idlis carefully with a spatula and serve hot with chutney of your choice.


Comments

Tina said…
Hey dear thankuuuuuu so much for ur comment.....This is my fav food...idli looks nice ...
Chitra said…
Tat looks superb with those sidedishes..I make it a bit different :) Will try ur version soon..
Priya Suresh said…
Wow soft rava idlies looks yummy with all those side dishes..
Sanghi said…
Wow.. delicious rava idlis, looks colourful too!
my kitchen said…
Perfect rava iddlies.mouthwatering.