Singapore Fish Curry

Singapore Fish Curry
Sometime I really wonder why I'm not prepare fish as before.When it comes to fish I always remembers "Muthu Curry Restaurant " in Singapore where they sell the best Fish Head Curry.Normally the curry is brought in-front of you still bubbling away in the large clay pot .Fish head curry is a spicy curried dish made using a fish's head. The dish is peculiar to Singapore, mixing the spices of a typical South Indian fish curry with the fish head, a delicacy amongst the Chinese.Since my hubby is not fond of fish head-I'm just preparing the curry with cat-fish cubes instead.

Ingredients
Serving Size:4


1lb cat-fish cubes or red snapper
1/2 cup okra
2 eggplants
1tsp cumin seeds
1/2tsp fenugreek seeds
5 green chillies halved lengthwise
few sprig of curry leaves
1 cup shallots halved
10 cloves of garlic crushed
1tsp thinly sliced ginger
3 tomatoes cubed
1tbsp tomato paste
2tbsp tamarind pulp
1 cup coconut milk
1/2tsp turmeric powder
1tsp chilli powder
2tbsp fish curry masala
salt to taste
Preparation Methods:
Cut okra and eggplants into 5 cm (2 in) lengths. Soak tamarind in 2 cups hot water for 10 minutes, squeeze to dissolve pulp, strain.Heat oil and fry eggplant and okra about 3 minutes, remove from oil. Add fenugreek and mustard seeds, fry until mustard seeds pop. Add chillies, curry leaves, onion, garlic and ginger and lower heat. Fry until soft and golden. Add all spices and fry, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tamarind liquid, tomato paste and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, add coconut milk and salt. Add fish cubes and vegetables and simmer uncovered until cooked. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.Serve with steamed white rice.



Comments

divya said…
Looks very yummy and delicious ... Nice color and you are tempting me!!!
Faiza Ali said…
now that looks yummmilicious and a tempting one.
Pari Vasisht said…
hi. I will try this without the fish.
This look so tempting, more rice please..
looking so good .. awesome recipe
Indian Khana said…
Looks delicious...should try with some veggie...being in SG for so long I cant bring myself to eat those fish head curry..think tht! U being to sg?
Saju Sharfu said…
looks good..never tried any veggies in fish curry..have to try!!
Sushma Mallya said…
wow that looks mouthwatering...
Priya Suresh said…
Fish curry makes me hungry, truly tempting, thanks for sharing dear...
PranisKitchen said…
yesetrday i prepared the fish curry.the Singapore fish curry looks delicious.sure i am bookmarking this recipe..will try it
nice pic.curry looks so spicy
Thanks girls for the lovely comments..I'm not able to visit and comment on ur blogs as me very busy in preparing for my in-laws arrival soon..will soon:) Do give ur support
@Priti I'm actually a Singaporean living in USA:)
Unknown said…
fish curry my moms fav food
she love it

if say about this she will cook now , great ha

i will ask my mom to do it hope it will come good


have a great day
Urmi said…
Singapore fish curry preparation is something different and looks delicious and spicy. Thanks for your lovely recipe. I will try it out.
SathyaSridhar said…
fish curry looks yummy n delicious dear,,,
SathyaSridhar said…
fish curry looks yummy n delicious dear,,,
Vikis Kitchen said…
Love fish head in curry. my hubby too hates it:( But I include it in curry and save the head for me secretly..hi..hi
your anecdote and the curry makes me drool:)