Palak Tofu

Palak Tofu

The climate in Dallas is getting weird these day.  Shine one day followed by thunderstorms!! Spring is officially over yet it feels like winter. Being back home from my 3 weeks vacation visiting my dad - I'm still in Singaporeicire time zone. I hardly can open eyes early morning and my daily routine are jammed up 😰When the alarm rings at 5.30am the first thought I get is to break my phone into pieces but it's going burn holes in my pocket if I break my phone 😬 Eventually I have to drag myself out of bed to prepare breakfast and lunch for kids and rush them off the door by 7.30am. My weekdays goes like this and I was hopping to get my beauty sleep on weekends but it's shattered by my son's baseball classes and match🤦‍♀️How can I relax myself and escape from this mind set??

 
                                      
Alright guys I can hear you  - let's get back to my kitchen - the place where my mind can function peacefully 😇Most of us are pretty busy in our day-to-day lives. Whether you are a mum, student or working full time, it can be hard (or absolutely impossible!) and boring to prepare the same food everyday. We have to be creative and try new dishes to get everyone at the dinning table to finish up their plate.Therefore today I decided to prepare a dishes using palak. Yes Palak Panner -is a popular North Indian curry made of blanched spinach and soft paneer. This restaurant style spicy Punjabi palak paneer recipe prepares a yummy curry by cooking shallow fried paneer cubes in a healthy spinach gravy, which is sautéed with finely balanced curry spices in aromatic ghee. 

I wanted to give a twist to this dish by using tofu instead and my kids just go crazy by hearing the word  "TOFU". I have been developing to create different recipe -trying to make it better every time and you know what, I think this one is actually THE ONE. If you have got bored preparing "Palak Panner" with rotis - I urge your to re-make this recipe with TOFU😋Try! Go now!!! Gather your pans and start preparing and do share your suggestions. Stay tune for another mouth-watering from my kitchen to yours 🙋🙋🙋
                                        

                                        

Ingredients  :
For the palak puree:
  • 200 to 250 grams fresh spinach or 1 cup fresh spinach 
  • 1 or 2 green chilies - chopped
  • 1 or 2 small to medium garlic cloves roughly chopped 
  • ½ inch ginger - roughly chopped
  • 3 cups water for blanching spinach
  • 3 cups water for ice bath
Preparing the spinach puree:
Rinse the palak or spinach leaves very well in running water. Boil 3 cups water in a pan and add 1/4 tsp salt to the hot water and stir -add the palak leaves in the hot water for 2-3 mins -strain the palak leaves. Immediately add the palak or spinach leaves in a pan or bowl containing ice cold water for 5 minutes.Then drain the ice cold water - add the spinach in a blender or grinder jar with chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies. Grind the mixture to a smooth purée and keep aside.

1 cup chopped Tofu
1-2 Green Chillies, seeded and chopped 
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large Onion, finely chopped 
1 tomato fined chopped 
1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste 
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
1/2 teaspoon Kasuri Methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
1/3 cup Water
2 tablespoons Oil + 1 tablespoon Butter
Salt to taste

Preparation Method:
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan or kadai over medium flame. Add tofu cubes and shallow fry them until the sides turn light brown. Transfer them to a plate and keep aside. Heat remaining 1-tbsp oil and 1-tbsp butter together in the same pan over medium flame. Add cumin seeds and saute them for 30 seconds. Add finely chopped onion and stir fry until it turns translucent. Add the tomato 'ginger-garlic paste and stir fry for 30 seconds.Add spinach puree and salt. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.Add 1/3 cup water. Mix well and bring it to a boil. Stir occasionally and when the gravy starts to boil, add shallow fried tofu cubes and cook for 3-4 . Add lemon juice, kasuri methi and mix well. Turn off the flame and transfer it to a serving bowl and serve with tandoori roti,chappati or butter naan.


                                               

Comments