Barley Vegetable Soup

"What is wrong with these days? Have you lost interest in cooking or the frequent changes in climate is making you too lazy to cook?"These question have being pestering my mind and I'm debating against it.Even sometime I have a feeling that my kitchen in also looking upon me with these questions too.for the past few weeks I have being busy and not much into cooking at all. I just wanted to pamper myself with more homely and comforting dishes which doesn't take much of my energy and time. What's more comforting then have a bowl of healthy soup. For the first time I have experiment using barely pearls in soup and I was success this time too:)

A generous amount of spices, along with beans, barley and veggies make this soup tasty and filling and healthy. I love the taste of barley, and the addition of beans and veggies will definitely tempted anyone for a second helping.

Ingredient Serving Size:4

1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic minced finely
2 ribs celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
any other vegetables desired, 1/2 cup each
2 tbsp oil
8 cups water or vegetable broth
1 cup pearled barley, uncooked
1 cup pinto or white beans, pre-soaked if dry
1/3 cup tomato paste or crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano or Italian spice mix
chopped sparsely leaves
chopped spring onion and coriander

Preparation Methods:
In a large soup pot, saute the onions, celery, carrots and any other vegetables for 3-5 minutes. Add vegetable broth or water and all other ingredients and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low.Allow to simmer- stirring occasionally, until barley is soft.Transfer to a serving bowl garnished with parsley,spring onions and coriander leaves.


Comments

Simplyfood said…
Barley soup looks hearty and delicious.
Sashi said…
Truly a healthy delight, looks tasty !!
Sushma Mallya said…
Healthy and yum, love the colour of it...
Cool Lassi(e) said…
A very healthy and delicious looking soup!
Priya Suresh said…
Wat a healthy,comforting,filling and inviting bowl of goodness, yumm!!
Ann said…
Surely, my kind of a dinner, looks so yummy
ARUNA said…
tasty n healthy soup!!
Tina said…
Healthy and delicious soup...
gtyuk said…
don't worry Sara, I'm the same too... sometimes don't feel like doing or clicking anything, specially after a tight week end...

your soup looks filling, healthy and delicious!!!
Deepti said…
Wow a bowl of soup full of so many healthy ingredients.
Namitha said…
such a healthy and yumm soup
Unknown said…
Cooking blues visit evevrybody once ina month:)Love this one pot meal..looks healthy and a good comfort food
Vikis Kitchen said…
Soup super pa. I too feel kind of lazy to cook nowadays:)
SathyaSridhar said…
Haiiii!!! Sara,, how r u ter dear?...Barley soup sounds great dear n very good for the health,,my amma use to make barley kanji ..
Urmi said…
Vegetable soup looks yummy, spicy and delicious. Wonderful recipe.
Subhie Arun said…
healthy n yummy soup....looks spicy n yummy....frst time here..u have wonderful collection..glad to follow u!
Anonymous said…
wow..delicious.do visit my blog when you find some time.following you.
Kalai said…
healthy soup loaded with proteins! I am always in for these wonderful and delicious soups.
Nithya said…
You cook a lot of healthy dishes. Really good. looks yummm :)
Thanks for all the lovely comments :)